Friday, January 13, 2012

Jaime Oliver's English Stew

My fancy dish of the week is Chicken and White Wine Stew by Jaime Oliver from Food Revolution.

Bottom Line: It was good. Real good. The chicken was tender and flavorful and the white wine add just a hint of a tart flavor.

I like this recipe because Jaime gives you variety. He breaks down the recipe into the main ingredients and then you can choose the protein. Lamb, chicken, beef and pork. Each protein has a liquid and a herb to match the flavor profile of the protein. I made the beef and Guinness before. But I have always wanted to try the chicken and wine. It is was the perfect time to try it with this food blog.

I only needed to buy chicken thighs and herbs from the store. Everything else I had at home. I will probably need a bigger pot in the future because I think I steamed the veggies instead of sauté them. I will add it to my Kitchen Wish List. (I'll post that later).

The only thing I wish I had done differently is the topping. Once the stew was done I transferred it to a casserole dish and added mashed potatoes to the top and browned it in the oven. The potatoes soaked up a lot of the stew. I would have preferred more of a stew like consistency. So next time I will try dumplings or pie crust topping.

Any ideas for next week?

1 comment:

  1. I'll take the blame for the topping. It looked the best in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete